The Education Department provides technical advisory services and serves as an advocate for the progress, improvement and advancement of First Nation education.
- NSTC works with external government and political agencies to ensure NSTC First Nation education needs are advocated for and reflected in policies and funding opportunities;
- NSTC ensures First Nations have a voice within the elementary, secondary and post-secondary school systems; and
- NSTC provides on-going communication, networking and special project development such as workshops, conference and/or training opportunities.
NSTC serves on various advisory committees to ensure elementary, secondary and post-secondary institutes provide culturally responsive curriculum and support services for First Nation students;
- Post-Secondary: Laurentian University Native Education Council (Vice Chair/Acting Chair); Queens University Aboriginal Teacher Education Program (Manitoulin-North Shore Program Management Committee), Sault College Board of Governor and Native Education and Training Council Chair; and Algoma University Anishinaabe Peoples’ Council.
- Elementary/Secondary: Algoma District School Board (ADSB) and Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board (HSCDSB) Indigenous Education Advisory Committee (IEAC), and Special Education Advisory Committees (SEAC) for both Boards.